Tuesday 2 March 2010

Are Art Degrees Worth It?

When I first started my BA degree in Contemporary Photographic Practice I was so excited and could not wait to learn new things and be set lots of work. I knew that I wanted to pursue photography as a career, it was all I wanted to do. 'Was' being the most important word.

Now I have only 3 months left of my degree and the only reason I haven't left yet is because I want to teach, and in order to do that I need to have a degree. I now know that any art degree is probably not worth it if you want to get a job in the industry. Potential employers are only interested if you have experience. They do not care about a piece of paper. After the first year of my degree I knew that photography was no longer my desired career path. I knew that I would always make my own work in my spare time but that I really wanted to teach.

Two weeks ago my faith in photography was restored a little, I was contacted (through Flickr of all places) by the man behind the Fred Perry advertising campaigns. He liked what he saw on my Flickr and now I am doing some development photography for the Fred Perry Subculture project. I am being paid to deliver five images by June. Never did I think that I would get an opportunity such as this. It still doesn't seem real. Anyway, my point is this: You don't necessarily need a degree to be able to do what you want. It is almost always down to experience, contacts and of course luck.

My wonderful friend Leah is also doing an art degree. She was contacted through her blog to work at London Fashion Week. It was through luck and the work that we produce in our spare time that we have got these great opportunities.

This post is mainly a dig at art degrees, and I know that many people enjoy them, but my question is this: Are they necessary to pursue your chosen career?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats emma!
    Aimee and I did an interview with Natalie Dybisz recently (Miss Aniela from flickr) which she will put up in a blog post once shes edited the audio but you should check it out when its up because were discussing the same thing. =)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My opinion on this is somewhat double sided -

    Firstly, No.
    To work within industry you do not need a degree. But you do need a very good knowledge of the trade and the skills necessary to do the job. Above all else you need enthusiasm, confidence and an outgoing attitude.

    Secondly,
    if you do not have the above, you will get nowhere in industry. Therefore a degree will give you the time and resources to develop your style, perfect your skills, and build up self confidence. A degree also shows that you are willing and capable of learning - it does not matter what the degree is in, it just shows commitment on your part.

    It's not the bit of paper that gets you work, it's the person that it can help you become :)

    ReplyDelete